Start Learning Greek in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

12-20-17 Word of the Day

dunn
New in Town

12-20-17 Word of the Day

Postby dunn » December 21st, 2017 12:39 am

Why is the word we're given (ανεμώδης) so different from the word used in the phrases (φυσάει)?

(Those screens ask me to sign up for something else even when logged into GreekPod101, so I ask here. :) )

Thanks,
-- Dunn

stefaniach
Been Around a Bit

Re: 12-20-17 Word of the Day

Postby stefaniach » December 21st, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Dunn,

That's a great question!

The adjective "windy" is translated exactly as "ανεμώδης" which is also an adjective. The problem lies in the fact that this particular word is not so easy to use in everyday life in Greek since Greeks use the more casual expression "φυσάει", literally meaning "it blows".

The word ανεμώδης is usually used in more official weather reports. For example, it is normal to hear a weatherman saying in the news "Ο καιρός αύριο θα είναι ανεμώδης." but for everyday life situations people will just say "Θα φυσάει αύριο."

Since the Word of the Day was based on an English template first that later on had to be translated into other languages including Greek, some times the sample sentences might need to be expressed in a way that the actual vocabulary might not be used in order for them to sound natural and not forced, word-by-word translations. When this happens, I think the important thing is to pay more attention to the sample sentences as they help you more see how people in Greece express a certain concept. I think "concept" is the key word here rather than the more precise "word/vocab".

Always feel free to ask me questions whenever you feel something might be off. I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,

Stefania
Team GreekPod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Greek”