Start Learning Greek in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

11-29-17 WOTD "ικανοποιημένος"

dunn
New in Town

11-29-17 WOTD "ικανοποιημένος"

Postby dunn » November 29th, 2017 10:25 pm

How is "ικανοποιημένος/satisfied" a participle in Greek?

In the English of both samples, 'satisfied' is an adjective, "The man is satisfied," "satisfied feeling".

I suppose the first form could be different in Greek, meaning instead, "The man is being satisfied," but that's a participle in Greek?

It could also be a transitive or reflexive verb, "The man satisfied his hunger," "The man satisfied himself." No more examples were given though.

Thanks,
-- dunn

stefaniach
Been Around a Bit

Re: 11-29-17 WOTD "ικανοποιημένος"

Postby stefaniach » November 30th, 2017 3:01 am

Hi Dunn,

Thank you for asking this.

Ικανοποιημένος is a perfect tense, passive voice participle of the verb ικανοποιώ (to satisfy). You can tell that by its -μένος ending which is a characteristic of that type of participle.

The word "satisfied" can also be a past participle in English just like the verb form "gone" (go, went, gone / satisfy, satisfied, satisfied). Such participles can function as adjectives in speech. That's why the Greek perfect tense, passive voice participles have 3 genders. For example, ικανοποιημένος, ικανοποιημένη, ικανοποιημένο. Maybe in English it's OK to consider such a word as an adjective depending on its use within a sentence, however in Greek, it will be always considered for what it really is; a participle.

That said, it doesn't mean that an adjective in English will always translate to an adjective in Greek. For example the word "sad" (100% adjective) translates as λυπημένος, another participle from the verb λυπούμαι (to be sad/sorry).

This mismatch is quite common and happens to other word types as well. For example an English verb might translate to a whole phrase in Greek if there's no equivalent verb.

I think it's better not to consider the transitiveness or reflexiveness of a verb in this case, as they are irrelevant.

If you want to learn more about the Greek participles, have a look at lessons 1-4 of the Upper Intermediate audio series. And if you have more questions, let me know!

Regards,

Stefania
Team GreekPod101.com

Get 40% OFF
dunn
New in Town

Postby dunn » November 30th, 2017 2:01 pm

Howdy Stefania,

Oh dear, I've gotten an extremely friendly, polite, and informative answer which had to also correct my English. If you ever tire of teaching and translating, might I suggest a career in diplomacy, because that was a fantastic answer! :)

I will certainly look at those lessons, but am a bit overwhelmed by all there is to learn when just starting, so I'll look within a week.

I am very happy that there was not a mistake in my lesson, so I very much appreciate your detailed explanation.

Thank you,
-- dunn

stefaniach
Been Around a Bit

Postby stefaniach » November 30th, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi Dunn,

I'm just glad I could be of help! And thank YOU for the flattering and kind message :D

I've been down the language learning path myself a few times, so I understand how even the most simple things might seem confusing at first, especially when one is just starting to learn and trying to make associations with one's own language.

As for the lessons I suggested, since they are intended for a much higher level, you don't need to worry about learning how to form those participles. I think having a look at the endings and some general info so that you know how to recognise participles in the future is enough. I don't want you to get even more overwhelmed.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment again if you ever have any questions or need some help. I'll be glad to assist!

Happy studying!

Stefania
Team GreekPod101.com

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Greek”