Start Learning Greek in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Writing Quiz

jacquesmassey_13455
New in Town

Writing Quiz

Postby jacquesmassey_13455 » August 10th, 2016 2:33 am

A brief How-To about setting up a keyboard in Greek, or an app that lets the learner interact with the alphabet within the lesson system, is in order. It is incongruous to have the written quiz reject the romanization already integrated in the vocabulary component without an easy means of accessing the Greek alphabet. This should be in the introduction to the course in video form, or one of the buttons in the menu system.

On the other hand, does the learner need to learn to type in Greek? Advice on the forum suggests that new learners avoid typing in favor of handwriting to reinforce a solid understanding of the alphabet. Good advice, probably. The alphabet videos appear to be designed with this bias in mind. It is reasonable to assume there is more than one or two paths to competency. Without modification (either add an alphabet app, or a video side note advising students how to type in Greek, or let quizzes accept answers in the romanization) it is unclear whether the methodology used here considers handwriting vis-a-vis computer learning to be complementary or not, forcing the learner to go outside the greekpod101 for an ad hoc solution. Going outside greekpod101 for anything diminishes its utility.

Undoubtedly, there are keyboard sets for the various platforms and shortcuts that everyone outside the anglosphere (and that is most people of course) is familiar with.

But imagine if learners (particulary those still in secondary school or university where things and ideas are being shared expansively, repeatedly and rapidly) remembered that greekpod101 made them experts not only in Greek but in the technology used to communicate in Greek (and all other languages) over the internet. The best part is, it's probably 90% already been built/assembled out there.

stefaniach
Been Around a Bit

Re: Writing Quiz

Postby stefaniach » August 11th, 2016 4:22 am

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for contacting us.

Below you will find a guide that will help you install the Greek keyboard to your system.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.innovative ... yboard.png

User interfaces and operational systems on different devices vary and change constantly, so making video guides or apps as you suggest would soon become obsolete and that is not very practical. The process of adding a new input language on a system is rather easy and quick, so instead, we use the above picture that we update with ease when needed. I hope this is helpful.

About romanization, please understand that its use is just to be a reading aid to beginner learners who are not so familiar recognising all the Greek letters yet. It should NOT be used an an input method for Greek. Using romanization to write Greek is simply a really bad habit. It is as wrong as it would be wrong for me to deliver to my English teacher a quiz with answers that would look like this: Τηισ ισ Ενγλιση (=This is English). She would tell me "This is not English!" and mark all my answers wrong until I learn how to use the English alphabet. Using the correct alphabet for each language is essential.

On an opposite note, if I (as a Greek teacher) or the automatic quiz check system on GreekPod were to check a quiz answer, how would I/it know if your spelling is correct? For example, by using an English "o" how can I or the system know if this represents a Greek omikron (ο) or a Greek omega (ω)? So using romanization to write and also relying on it too much impedes how fast you learn the Greek letters (so your reading and writing skills) as well as your spelling skills. It would be unethical as an educational platform to allow romanization as an input method in the quizzes.

So to answer your question, yes, a Greek learner needs to learn how to write manually but since we live in a technological era, knowing how to type in Greek is necessary as well. Initially hand writing should be the way to learn and the main practice just like we all do when we are children and we learn how to write our own language at school. That was the focus of the Greek Alphabet series as you correctly pointed out. However, GreekPod101.com is an online learning method and in order to answer quizzes correctly and eventually communicate with other users through the comment section or with Greek people online or through texting, you would need to make yourself familiar with a Greek keyboard. The image I shared with you above should help you greatly. I recommend printing that page and keeping it next to your desk so you can have a glimpse when you get stuck. With some practice you will learn it eventually.

In general, learning a new alphabet takes time and effort. There are no shortcuts or easy ways. I'm sure, once you install Greek on your system, after a while you will be writing to me in Greek!

Also, whenever you need any assistance, just leave us a simple comment and we will answer you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Stefania
Team GreekPod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn Greek Feature Requests”