a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Translator Sites

andrewfortune5695
New in Town

Translator Sites

Postby andrewfortune5695 » November 22nd, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi,

When it comes to Translator sites (e.g. Bing or Google), languages such as Greek or French are at a disadvantage. This is because they always translate a verb in the second-person as plural (i.e. the polite form).

Does anyone know how to make them translate from English into the target language as second-person singular ?

thanks,
Andrew

team.relationships
New in Town

Re: Translator Sites

Postby team.relationships » October 23rd, 2012 2:53 am

Hi Andrew and thank you for your question!

For languages such as Greek or French, for example, where verbs are conjugated and adjectives declined in a very complex way, it is not reccomended to use an online translator because the results you will get will never be acurate.

I am afraid there are no simple solutions for that. I suggest you though to use an online translator in combination with a good book (or knowledge) of grammar and when you are not sure about a specific verb/adjective, look up for it's conjugation/declination on google. You will find many pages with tons of conjugation charts of many widely used verbs.

It is a challenge to get a correct result, so some general knowledge of a language's grammar is essential, so that you can know how the language works and spot the mistakes to make the necessary corrections!

Let me know if you have some more questions!

Stefania,
Team Greekpod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Greek”